TECHNICAL BULLETIN: DNA INTEGRITY ASSAY ON THE SQA-VISION
The goal of this document is to introduce the new SQA-Vision DNA fragmentation test. This new feature can be easily implemented by using commercially available kits.
The genetic integrity of the sperm is necessary for successful fertilization and normal embryo development. Including an analysis of sperm DNA fragmentation along with other semen parameters provides important fertility information and has been found to assist the practitioner to direct care.
DNA fragmentation assay by SCD (Sperm Chromatin Dispersion) technique encompasses a visual observation of sperm cells, differentiating between cells with a “halo” and cells without. A halo effect is seen in sperm with dispersed DNA loops of cells with non-fragmented DNA. Sperm with fragmented DNA do not produce a halo.
A special DNA FRAGMENTATION feature/mode was developed for the SQA-Vision to provide visualization/counting and reporting of the prepared sample. Cells are counted based on the HALO / NO HALO principle.
Two commercially available kits* were validated for use on the SQA-Vision by the MES laboratory:
– Halosperm® by HALOTECH.
– Sperm DNA Fragmentation Assay Kit by BASO® diagnostics.
*NOTE: Other kits were not tested and therefore their performance on the SQA-Vision is unknown.
TESTING DNA FRAGMENTATION ON THE SQA-VISION:
To successfully perform DNA fragmentation testing on the SQA-Vision using one of the recommended kits:
– Follow the kits instructions for sample preparation
– Two paths are available for testing on the SQA-Vision:
– Following the automated test by selecting the option “DNA FRAG” (located below the test results)
– Off-line by selecting “VISUALIZATION” from the main menu and then selecting “DNA FRAG” Marina Friling, Clinical Manager, MEDICAL ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS
Marina Friling, Clinical Manager, MEDICAL ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS